Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Amazing Grace

2 So Jeremiah the prophet said to all the people of Judah and to all those living in Jerusalem: 3 For twenty-three years—from the thirteenth year of Josiah son of Amon king of Judah until this very day—the word of the LORD has come to me and I have spoken to you again and again, but you have not listened. 4 And though the LORD has sent all his servants the prophets to you again and again, you have not listened or paid any attention. 5 They said, “Turn now, each of you, from your evil ways and your evil practices, and you can stay in the land the LORD gave to you and your fathers for ever and ever. 6 Do not follow other gods to serve and worship them; do not provoke me to anger with what your hands have made. Then I will not harm you.” 7 “But you did not listen to me,” declares the LORD, “and you have provoked me with what your hands have made, and you have brought harm to yourselves.” - Jeremiah 25:2-7

     God has been continuously reminding me of His mercy, grace, and patience lately. I don't want to keep stressing the same thoughts over and over, but God is stressing the same thoughts repeatedly in my life. I suppose if I need a continuous reminder, perhaps someone else does as well! Recently I've been encouraged by the Lord's patience and forgiveness with Jonah and the people of Ninevah. In Jeremiah his patience comes to an end with the nation of Judah, but not after a long span of mercy. Jeremiah himself says that he has been telling them to repent for twenty-three years. Twenty-three years! Jeremiah then says that other servants and prophets have warned them as well. Yet, Judah still refuses to turn back to God. Throughout this lengthy period of time Judah has not simply been ignoring God's voice. The people have been actively making and serving idols and false gods. Twenty-three years of blatant idol worship. An utter slap in the face the their true Lord and Creator. Constantly reminded of God's displeasure, Judah pushes forward in their defiance. How amazing is God's grace? Why would He allow such disrespect? I cannot fathom such patience. If I were God I wouldn't last a week! I would be so enraged by the utter lack of respect and concern I would probably strike them all dead. Thankfully I am not in control. God's intense love, His limitless grace, His tireless patience, leaves me speechless. What an amazing God we serve. A joyous thought and a welcome reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment